ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition – enabling the power of fast reliable builds everywhere!October 19, 2011 — David Rosen
> Run build…, …, …,
Still waiting? …? Still waiting? …?
Are you STILL waiting for your slow build to complete?
> Finally done? Successful? Good!
- Why is your build so slow?
- Still struggling with management of your complex
> Modify some code. Synchronize from version control system.
> Run build…, wait…, …
> BOOM. Error. Darn.
Why did my build fail?
> Traverse log file(s). Find error. Understand error.
- Should it really be that hard to debug failed builds?
> Clean up. Run build again…, …, …, waiting again?
> Finally done? Good!
- But what?
- Did you have to run a clean build just because your
incremental builds are unreliable?
> Log off big high-end build server.
> Done. Go home for the day.
> Work at night on the laptop. Run build… wait…, wait…
- Again – why all of this waiting? I see, you don’t have
that fast access to your centralized build server?
- Your development organization not yet large enough
to justify the investment in ElectricAccelerator to
power your Private Build Cloud?
- Suffering from not having access to your high-end
internal build infrastructure all the times?
With the latest 6.0 release of ElectricAccelerator that went out the door a few weeks back, Electric Cloud proudly announced the availability of ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition – enabling the power of fast reliable builds everywhere!
What’s so significant about this new edition of ElectricAccelerator? A whole list of things:
1. Reliability. All the technology in ElectricAccelerator that helps to guarantee
reliable builds every time is still there:
a. Adaptive Conflict Detection – the secret sauce of ElectricAccelerator: giving
you fast, reliable parallel builds, regardless of how (im)perfect your
makefiles and tools are.
b. Automatic Dependency Management – automatically generates dependency
information for you, eliminating the need to manage that data
yourself and as such, enables reliable incremental builds, everytime.
c. The Ledger feature for improved incremental builds – completely eliminating
the flaky reliance on timestamps for determining what targets needs
to be rebuilt.
d. Subbuilds, for those of you still dealing with recursive makefile structures
2. Speed. You will still benefit from a decade’s worth of inventions that has made
it the fastest available build technology on the planet, proven by the many
hundreds of customers around the world that are powering their Private Build
Clouds by ElectricAccelerator.
3. Analysis. With ElectricInsight, developers get the unique capability to quickly
debug and analyze build failures as well as pinpoint performance problems
or architectural flaws in a build structure.
4. Isolation. You no longer need a centralized enterprise build infrastructure to
benefit from all the features of ElectricAccelerator. In essence, no need for the
ElectricAccelerator Cluster Manager when your build will run locally and fully
utilize the horsepower of your desktop or laptop.
5. Integration. If your organization happens to have an existing Private Build
Cloud powered by ElectricAccelerator already, ElectricAccelerator Developer
Edition will seamlessly plug in as a hybrid extension and whenever possible,
federate out workload to the remote ElectricAccelerator Cluster.
6. Independence. You can run ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition anywhere,
everywhere. As long as you have local access to your source code and toolchain,
there is no requirement for network access or external build infrastructure.
With the low price-point at where we’re offering ElectricAccelerator Developer Edition, I can’t wait getting out to the masses evangelizing and proving the case for it – giving an answer to many of the bold questions asked above also for individual developers and the smaller development shops out there. Stay Tuned!